Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

1

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

What is Prostration?




Whiz Kid Displaying the Ultimate Respect to King Sunny Ade.
 
                  


Yesterday at work, a co-worker (African American) asked me to explain some of the African cultures that have been modified by African migrants in the US. The one that I could easily remember, been a Yoruba man is "prostration".

I told him that it is part of Yoruba culture as a sign of respect to prostrate for our elders, regardless of how short the gap in age is or how rich/poor the elder is. 

I thought that this will be a great way to explain to him not only in writing but also in picture. I told him that, it i s deeply ingrained among Yoruba people of West Africa as a way of greeting elders and especially, the Oba (King) by the males.

He was amazed that, such posture involves falling flat on one’s face as a sign of respect and not doing so is considered as very disrespectful as well as lacking in character and morals. 

I pointed the fact that due to western education, the reason/practice has being watered down and in many cases replaced by handshake but that in itself should not be taken lightly as a younger person should not be the initiator of a handshake.

For me, I consider handshakes to be a good candidate but should be follow by a respectful bow.

What do you guys think?

picture courtesy of https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw a man at the airport the other day and he was doing exactly this...now it makes sense. I had no idea what it meant until now, good post

Anonymous said...

I love our yoruba culture. We are truly bless.